Sunday, January 17, 2010

Life in the Clouds

Every morning now for some time we have awakened to a white world. Layne says we sit in the middle of clouds on these winter days. I like clouds and rain so I don't mind the misty effect of our winter views. Lately the mist has turned to rain and more rain. How we have hoped for a nice wet winter. We especially look forward to rain since our well puts out water that does a pretty adequate job of poisoning our plants with its heavy doses of boron and salt. So we collect rain in cisterns for summer watering. Thus, the 4 day storms that have drenched us for the past week have brought mostly blessings. I say mostly because the accompanying winds have, once again, blow down some of our trees. Trees are a scarcity here so we mourn the loss of each one, carefully planted with hopes of a future forest.

Often, as I sit in our study, I hear the sounds of a manly voice drifting up our stairway. Those sounds could be counted on to confirm the presence of son-in-law Cliff. But lately they have come from a grandson who has found his manhood. Chase is now 18, six foot three (rivaling his grandfather) and announces his own presence with a deeply resonating voice. He seems to have made this change suddenly. Yet it is not so; he has matured at a slow and steady pace but somehow the voice change caps his manliness. I remember being started at my own sons' change of sound and, so soon, here it is again. I have a grown-up grandson!

That means, of course, that I am getting much older. I have to remind myself of my years because I feel so much the same as I always have. The latest reminder came on Monday, as I celebrated another birthday. It was an unusually nice celebration for me. It was even a holiday! Never mind that it was in celebration of someone else. I still felt honored. Each of my children called except Gerald, who called several days later. Lots of sweet people wished me well, including our empty nest group, which met at our house, conveniently for my celebration, the night of my birthday. So I had many well wishers, which warmed my heart. For some reason it is important to me to hear from my children on my day. Perhaps I just need to know that they remember me and that they love me. They rarely let me down.

My sister, Maryanne, came for a visit over my birthday, which added to the sweetness of it. She is struggling with various health issues but is still such fun to have around. We didn't do much but not much is needed for a sweet bond to occur. Mom especially enjoyed having both of her girls nearby and tending to her needs. She feels so badly about being needy. I feel quite challenged in the care of her. I'm worried that I do not do enough to strengthen her and to stimulate her interests. She seems to languish much of the time. She says her mind often feels "empty". I do not understand all the effects of her stroke but she is greatly diminished. Still, there is lots of her left; enough to rejoice over. I'm focusing on that.

Pictures: Top is a typical winter morning in the clouds. Next is me in my Niagara Falls raincoat braving pouring rain to dump the compost. Then comes the grown-up grandson, Chase. Ben's Jessica and their children stopped by on my birthday to sing to me. Left is me with my sister, Maryanne.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hahahah! Chase, you are such a stud!
Anyway, thanks for Elder Galbraith's lovely message, and I am sorry for missed the call, though I'd love to visit you and your lovely family again!
thank you again!

Many loves~ Txy