Sunday, January 10, 2010

First of the Year Dreams

January is sort of like Monday; the beginning of measured time to follow. It is filled with possibilities. In January my mind soars with hopes for great things to come and great productivity on my part. I'm organizing my spaces to work better. I hate to admit that I've done this endless times before, come up with various systems to smooth out my routine and then....forgot to use them. How can I make this year different? I'm working on that. In the meantime I'm creating more systems...

It has been overcast here for many days but the clouds we seem to be living in are not producing much rain. Still, our 5 cisterns are full, which will provide garden nourishment for the coming summer months. So, I'm not complaining. I like the clouds; they don't dampen my spirits at all. In fact, they provide a symbol for me of the nourishing efforts of the heavens. Rain is life.

My nest is empty of kids but somehow there seems to be as much to do as ever. Why is that? I'm thankful for things to do but wonder how to properly prioritize. Am I doing what I should? Am I caring for Mom as I should? What should I reasonably expect that she will be able to accomplish? What should I reach for? It is unfamiliar ground for me. Sometimes I feel quite alone in my responsibility for her care. Layne stands ready to help me, but it feels like all the decisions regarding her are mine alone. I hope I'm not letting her down. She is such a noble soul and deserving of the best experience that can be offered her.

It is the people versus stuff war again being waged in my head. People often interfere with my plans. But wait, aren't I doing my stuff for the people in my life? Yes, I am. People really are the most important thing. So I'm letting the people interrupt me as much as they'd like!

Pictured here are good friends Jody and Jerry Jensen. They provided sweet interruption for an afternoon that we enjoyed totally. Pictured also is Layne talking with his hands to the Jensens. The kids tease him about this particular trait. Here you see him in the midst of major hand talk.

No comments: