Friday, February 13, 2009

Joys and Sorrows

There was a full moon this week. It bathed our place in moonlight. There is something magical about a full moon. You can see it's glowing effect in this photo, taken early in the morning, outside our bedroom window. Note the frost on the hills that confirms the early morning chill. In spite of that, Layne and I have been walking most mornings. I love it.

We spent yesterday at Reed and Dorothy's. Carmen now spends almost all of her time in bed. She has eaten little or nothing all week. I visited with her, in her room. She sleeps most of the time, but she was awake when I was there with her. She was too weak to look at me so this snapshot is of her profile. She is having trouble hearing, so I spoke loudly to her and tried to express the words of comfort that were in my heart to tell her. I wanted her to know that she was not ever going to be alone. Indeed, her room seemed to be filled with a warm presence. I believe that she is being looked out for by heavenly beings as well as earthly ones. I told Carmen that she would soon feel better and be able to run and sing again. It is true, once she is able to pass to the next world. It was pleasant to sit with her. She lay surrounded by stickers and her sticker book. There are a few minutes in the day when she adds some of the many stickers people have given to her to her little book. It seems to me that she will soon leave us. Dorothy sits with her most of the time. That is made possible by the many people who stop by and help in whatever way they can. Family has been gathering to see her and let her know she is loved by them. Dorothy's aunts came from the east earlier this week. Rayne is flying home today to spend a couple of days with her. Jessica and children came last week especially to spend time with her. We hope to send her off surrounded by love.

No comments: