Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mama


Mom's home therapists are finished with their service. They were very good for her; especially Jim, who got her on her feet and walking. She has been walking ever since, with some help. There is so much that needs to return to her before she can be anywhere near fully functional. The in-house therapists have been gone since just before Christmas. I've started her on out-patient therapy through Washington Hospital in Fremont. She is learning some new techniques for improving. But I fear that she is reaching a leveling-off. I cannot see any major improvement since the home therapists left. I have been working with her each day on exercises that they recommended but she doesn't seem to be making significant progress. I feel a little discouraged. I am worried that she is losing her will to work. Work is what is required for any progress to take place. It is hard for her. She has been willing to put in quite an effort in the past but she seems less inclined lately. If she stays essentially as she is, a great deal of help is needed. I suppose I have not allowed myself to think in those terms, but perhaps it is necessary after all. She may be in just a temporary slump; time will tell.

No comments: