Sunday, January 11, 2009

Let there be salt

Layne was helping me organize things last month. He found a bag in the pantry that had a label that included the word "granulated". His mind filled in the rest of the label with "sugar" and he poured the bag in my sugar bin. Later that day I added a cup of it to my berry pie. I always taste pie filling to make sure I haven't forgotten anything and did so with this filling. It tasted pretty salty! It took me a minute to decide to taste the contents of my sugar bin. Sure enough, it was filled with salt! Since there was some sugar in the bottom of the bin, it was actually a mixture of salt and sugar. A big mixture! What would you do with such a concoction? I'm of a nature that hates to throw food away. So I mixed it all up and poured a little of it into a shaker. After all, there are quite a few things that take both salt and sugar. Now it is conveniently pre-mixed for me. So perhaps we have invented a whole new concoction! By the way, I rinsed all the salt off the berries for the pie I was making and started over again. It turned out fine.

No comments: