Sunday, January 22, 2023

Eighty

 Each decade of life seems old from a younger point of view.  I remember being 30 seemed so.  Then 40.  50 Seemed like the beginning of old.  But then came 60 and 70, making 50 look young.  Now it is 80.  That is undeniably old. Yet I still just don't feel it.  It is something of a milestone for sure though.  

Audrey and Cliff came last weekend and so did Rayne, Dominic and baby Rose.  I was expecting them and it was much fun to have them.  Then, Friday night a knock on the door brought Reed and Dorothy...and Ben!  I was shocked to see him and excited.  Saturday morning I was settling into breakfast when who should walk in but Chris and Jessica!  They spent the night upstairs and I hadn't a clue!  Later in the day who should wander in from upstairs but William (Ben's son)!  Then appeared Miles.  Wow!  It was amazing to have them just show up!

We girls went to an art museum Saturday afternoon.  After that, Audrey had an appointment with my friend Carol at Church to go over some organ techniques, she said.  So we headed over there.  We walked inside the Church and Audrey beckoned us into the gym.  As I walked in, the room exploded with people yelling, "surprise," and singing me Happy Birthday!  I was totally stunned!  The room was decorated with red and gold balloons.  Banquet tables held lots of food and there were tables set up throughout the gym.  It felt like there were so many friends there, all greeting and hugging me.  I was totally amazed.  It has never seemed to me that something like this would ever happen to me.  Chris showed a slideshow of my life; my favorite latin music was playing in the background.  For the next two hours there was such a sweet celebration.  I will never forget it.  We took a few pictures under the balloon arch.  Here is a sample of family photos (I have more with friends).

                                                                        Ben and William


Jessica, Miles and Chris


Rayne, Rosie and Dominic


Bruce, Dorothy, and Reed


Cliff and Audrey


Layne and me


It was a day to remember...forever!  Audrey took charge of the whole weekend, with Rayne doing the decorating.  Audrey doesn't like parties.  So it was especially sweet that she would do this for me.  In addition to the guests that were there, she had a pile of love notes from lots of other people.  How in the world did she do all of this?  I just don't know how she managed to contact so many people.  Especially without me knowing a thing about it.  

My wonderful family took care of me all weekend long.  Cliff cooked my favorite dinner on Sunday.  Dominic made my favorite desserts.  Rayne decorated the house with the balloons left from the party on Saturday.  It was a beautiful experience, all weekend long.  Sunday saw most of the family leave.  Audrey and Cliff left Monday.  Rayne and Dominic stayed until my actual birthday, Wednesday.  We got to spend some sweet time with just them, which was wonderful.  

                                    Happy Birthday balloony things from the party.  Rayne hung them 
                                    above the dining room entry.  I gonna leave them there all month!



We got to spend some bonding time with little Rosie.  She is just the right age (2 months) to let us hold her without complaint.  Here I am talking to her and enjoying her sweet little smiles in response.




We have quite a few January birthdays in the family.  We celebrated Bruce on Monday night at Reed and Dorothy's.  Miles' birthday was Monday, Abigail's on Thursday and Ben's Jessica on Saturday.  We acknowledged them all.  It has been a birthday week for sure.  Here's Bruce about the blow out his candles on the custom made cake he and Dorothy made.  Can you tell it is a telephone?




After Rayne and Dominic left Wednesday morning, Layne and I went out to dinner.  It was a sweet time with him.  Thursday morning it snowed.  My friend Laurie and I walked in the snow, enjoying the falling flakes thoroughly.  It was a winter wonderland!

                                                                Laurie and me


The local pond


It has been an unbelievable January for me.  I suppose I can confess that, so far, I don't mind being 80.  I feel embraced by the love of family and friends.  Who could ask for more than that?







No comments: