Sunday, June 30, 2019

Early Summer Days

Awhile ago I told Layne that when the time came that we needed to replace our Envoy that I'd like a yellow jeep.  The yellow is because I dislike the neutral colors that almost all cars come in.  The jeep is because I think it would be fun to have a car that can go anywhere and still work for everyday use.  A couple of weeks ago Layne said to me, "Let's go and get you a jeep."  Wow.  I was surprised.  Our Envoy, given to us by Mother when she was staying with us, was getting old and beginning to need major work.  So Layne decided that it was time to give her up.  So off we went to look at jeeps. 

Jeeps come in all sorts of vibrant colors.  I love that.  As we looked at the options, I noticed the green jeeps and decided that I liked that color better than the yellow.  Layne agreed.  So we took a test drive and found it easy to maneuver and generally pleasant.  Soon the deal was sealed and, after waiting a week for our jeep to arrive from Utah, we became the owners of a new, green jeep.  We traded in the Envoy.  That was a little hard as it served us well, it represented a piece of Mom, and I loved it.  We've been having fun taking turns driving the jeep all over town since that time.





Audrey came for a visit the weekend that we got the jeep.  It was fun having her with us on this new car adventure.  The jeep is only the second new car we have ever owned.  Mostly we drive used cars until they absolutely die.  So this is a special treat.  Audrey shared in our excitement and that made it more fun.  I so appreciate this special daughter and her efforts to spend time with us.  She often makes the effort to visit over weekends. 



Our deliciously open time this month has been spent with various projects and obligations.  I've noticed that it is harder to get things done when there is no need to fit them in between commitments.  I need to be disciplined to get the things done that I have on my to do list.  In spite of open time, things and events arise that make leaving home for any length of time difficult.  Somehow I've got to get myself organized better to make these important connections with the people I love.

It is beautiful here right now.  Here's a scene from one of my recent early morning walks around the neighborhood.  Note the full moon!



It is amazing to think that we are now old.  Layne and I have been married for 53 years now.  It seems a very short time in my mind.  I feel as I have always felt.  It is only when I look in the mirror that I'm reminded that, yes, I'm old.  So far I don't mind.  Here's Layne and me on our anniversary day, at Boise's Botanical Gardens.


Just to show how old we really are, here's a snapshot of our newest great grandchild, Hazel.  She was born early and struggled at first but look at her now!


That leads me to include this latest picture of grandson Seth, taken in Taiwan.  Doesn't he look yummy, and so happy!




No comments: