Sunday, May 19, 2019

Mother's Day and Other Things

May is a lovely time this year.  Our English and singing commitments are over.  That brings a little more relaxing time.  A little.  The end of the school year brings lots of kid events.  Seth and Angelica sang in their last concert of the year this past week.  It was great.  As usual, at the end of the performance we waited...and waited...and waited while the kids bonded and said their goodbyes for the year.  I'm working on being patient with such things.  But it doesn't come easily.  Layne, on the other hand, is patient with waiting, and other things too.  I love that about him.

Here's Seth and Angelica, dressed in informal concert wear.  Seth's expression is the closest he will come to a smile for the camera. 



This coming week there will be a dance and piano recital for Angelica.  Then I think we will be through with kid's events for the school year.  In two weeks Seth and Angelica fly home for the summer.  The time has rushed by but with that time the kids have changed quite a bit.  They are becoming more independent, mature and comfortable with American ways.  I will miss them this summer even though their absence will give us more opportunities to do things on our own. 

Audrey and Allegra drove here for Mother's Day weekend.  It was lovely to have them here.  I love to have family with me.  My secret fantasy is to have them all living around me in a big circle, with the middle yard being full of all sorts of pleasures.  Perhaps that is what heaven will be like.  We celebrated Mother's Day with Audrey, Allegra, Dorothy, Bruce and Dorothy's mom, Linda.  It was fun to be together.  Soon Reed will be here too with the boys.  So now there is a little taste of family here in Idaho with us.   Here's Allegra, Audrey and Angelica in back, with Dorothy, Linda and me in front.  Linda has a hard time smiling now.


Here's my sweet guy Layne doing dishes for me on Mom's Day.  It is only fair since, this year, I cooked my own Mother's Day dinner!




Our little great-granddaughter, Hazel, is doing very well at last.  After a rough start, she is approaching newborn size and finally thriving with her Mom, Dad and big brother, Hunter, at home.  She's pretty cute!



I spoke in Sacrament meeting today.  I was surprised to be asked as we haven't been involved in the ward for a few years.  We've been doing local missions instead.  It seems to me that older folk are not used much in wards.  Perhaps that is a good thing as it gives younger people opportunities to learn and grow.  But without missions I would feel pretty un-useful.  So speaking in Sacrament meeting was an unusual opportunity.  I spoke on repentance.  I was worried about it right up to the presentation, but I got lots of compliments afterward so now I feel good about it.  Public speaking is fun if I can get excited about the material.  I worked at this one until I did.

Layne is swallowed up in yard work these days.  The long, warm days are coming upon us and he is coming alive with outdoor projects.  Nature nurtures you know.  He feels it and so do I. 


No comments: