Wednesday, March 13, 2019

A Seattle Escape

Some months ago daughter Jessica asked if I could stay with their kids for 2 1/2 weeks while they went to Europe, to celebrate her 50th birthday.  Hum.  2 1/2 weeks seemed like such a long time.  Would Layne be OK handling the kids without me?  Would the English program work OK without me?  I put off committing to the whole time but finally agreed to do it.  Jessica shortened the time to two weeks and that clinched it.

So I came, over a week ago now.  As it turns out, Layne is having a fine time with the kids.  He transports them to their various activities just fine and has been taking them out to dinner just about every night!  I wonder how happy they will be to see me back home again with that kind of thing going on!  The English program is doing fine without me too. 

It was snowing when I got here...in Seattle!  Apparently they've received an unusual amount of snow this year.  It has warmed up since, but it is still cold.  I layer to keep warm and sometimes sit in front of the fireplace to thaw out!  Here's how the front yard looked when I was first here.



Being here has turned out to be a very pleasant respite from my usual busy routine at home.  I am alone almost all of the time as the kids are in school, sports, and Miles works most nights.  I am loving so much time all to myself.  It is restful, meditative and productive.  Even when the kids are home, they prefer their devices to visiting.  I've had a couple of sweet conversations with them, but they are not prone to give them out routinely. 

Miles and Peyton "devicing" and doing homework.


Audrey visited this past weekend.  What a pleasant thing to have her gift for visiting.  We had a lovely time.  Gemma also came home from college for the weekend.  So it was filled with plenty of chatter and bonding.



Chris and Jessica text often and include pictures of their adventures.  It's pretty wonderful to be able to communicate so well from so far away.  Here they are in front of the Roman made aqua duct, that after hundreds and hundreds of years, still works.  I'd love to see that in person!


The time is passing quickly.  I'm surprised by how much I am enjoying it.  I like the kids, I like the place and I like the time that has opened up to me.  What fun to awaken each morning, get the kids off to school and have the whole day before me with no demands.  I can decide how to use each minute!  Its a gift.



No comments: