Sunday, January 6, 2019

Welcome 2019

We have had a whirlwind holiday time and it has been great.  We were only home from our California Christmas for a couple of days before New Year's Eve.  I was thinking we would just float through it with our little family circle and go to bed early, but Layne really wanted to have a party.  This is quite unusual for him; he is normally not much of a party guy.  I told him I'd go for it if he made the invites.  So he did.  We had 12 of us for dinner and lingering, until midnight for a toast and general cheer for the New Year.  Some still lingered after that so we didn't get to bed until around 2 am.  But it was so fun!  I'm glad Layne promoted it.

Here's friend Larry Wintersteen toasting and Angelica popping on New Year's Eve, midnight!


Layne is into the toast.



2018 has been a year of losses, as far as friends go.  We have said goodbye to Ernie Trutner, David Thomas, Don Harmon, and Jim Wilkie.  Did you notice that they were all men?  It goes to my theory that men are just not built to last!  It makes me sad as I love the men in our lives.  This is the time of life for losses as we begin to leave this world for the next one.  It is to be expected I suppose, but I don't like it much. 

We drove to Utah on New Year's Day.  I talked Layne and the kids into coming with me since I was afraid of icy roads.  But there were none.  Why knew?  This time we stayed with Layne's twin, Lynn, and his wife, Camille.  It was so fun!  We don't spend much time with them normally, but this time we spent two nights with them.  The kids enjoyed them too, and loved playing with their dog.  We also had a brief visit with Bob and Maryanne.  I was excited to give them our late Christmas gifts and I think they liked them.  I'm hoping that the pjs I made for Maryanne will be useful.  I'm hoping to spend more time with our Utah family this coming year. 

Lynn and Camille's daughter, Kristin Jones, stopped by while we were there.  Here she is, between us.


Here we are, munching at the Black Bear.  Left is Angelica, Lynn and Camille.  Right is me, Layne and Seth.


After we got home from Utah, Allegra, Scott and his Jessica (#3) stopped overnight on their way back to school at BYUI.  It was a short visit but sweet.




We started our new Church schedule today--2 hours of Church instead of 3.  And a whole new study program for the year.  New ideas are usually pretty interesting and I can't help being excited about these.  I'm full of plans for the new year too.  I'm hoping to actually do some of my resolutions this year.  I'm hot for it!

We are home and settling into a regular routine at last.  The kids start back to school tomorrow.  I'm a little tired; I'm an old lady now, you know.  But things are looking good for a calmer week ahead.

No comments: