Sunday, December 2, 2018

Thanksgiving, Plus!

We spent this Thanksgiving at home.  It was especially sweet, as we had family with us!  Reed and Dorothy came, with their family, including son James and his wife Alijandra and son Alex.  Isaiah and Allegra drove over from Rexburg.  Gerald was here too.  We had quite a lovely collection of family.  I cooked just about everything the week before Thanksgiving and froze it. That made for a much less hectic holiday.  Spending enough time with Reed and Dorothy to be able to have deep conversations was especially nice.  Sometimes I feel starved for time with my children.  Of course they are busy with their own families, but that does not mean I don't miss them.  You may say that I brought this separation upon myself since we are the ones who moved to Idaho.  And you would be right.  But, again, that doesn't change my heart's longings.  Here is the Thanksgiving family.



Reed and Dorothy were here for about 5 days.  Vincent, who is now 17, asked Layne to give him his Patriarchal Blessing while they were here.  Layne did a beautiful job of it.  Being a Patriarch was not his favorite calling, as, he says, it requires "revelation on demand."  I can understand his struggle with that.  But the Lord always comes through.  I could feel the inspiration behind what he expressed to Vincent.  We all gathered to witness it and felt a lovely presence.

Here's Vincent just before the blessing.



Our time with Reed and Dorothy was a busy, happy time.  They are currently thinking that they will move to Idaho this coming summer.  My dream is to have family close by again, but I'm not counting on it until I see them on the Idaho horizon, packed for a move.  Things can change so quickly!  Little Alex is one year old now and so cute.  James is working hard on a degree that will lead him into being an actuary.  Allegra and Isaiah both seem to be happy in school.  It is a joy to have Gerald here as he spends tons of time with his kids and runs them to their various activities.  We have had some great conversations too.  It is good to be able to see a little way into the minds of my children.  I so enjoy what I see there.

Alex playing patty-cake.


Me with Reed and Dorothy.



We are set for Christmas now.  The house is full of decorations and holiday anticipation.  We had our first snowfall December first.  There is more snow today.  My heart is full of gratitude at this moment in time, even if Gerald leaves for Taiwan tomorrow.

Our first snow.

 

No comments: