Sunday, September 23, 2018

A Seattle Job

Quite a few months ago, daughter Jessica asked me to spend 9 days with her kids while she and Chris went on a trip to Europe.  Gemma is 18, Miles is 16 and Peyton is 14.  They didn't really need much from me, except to be there while their folks were so far away.  Committing to dates that are far away is pretty easy.  Several months ago my September calendar was quite empty.  So I quite happily committed myself to this happy errand. 

Of course the month filled up around this commitment.  Scott and Jessica stayed until my departure day almost two weeks ago now.  Here they are about to begin their drive to Rexburg and BYUI.



Then Allegra and Isaiah arrived for a few days visit the evening of my departure day.  I captured them at the airport, but otherwise missed their visit altogether.  Audrey came later that week and I missed her too.

But I loved spending time with my three Gendreaus.  I walked with Gemma almost every day.  We got some good conversation in.  She is feeling better about leaving home for college.  She was such a great helper for me, anticipating most of what was required of me and offering assistance.  She has become a beautiful, good hearted girl. 


Miles is a problem solver.  One evening he told me some of his ideas for solving everyday frustrations.  His mind automatically goes to that, it seems.  He spends his open time coming up with creative solutions for these kinds of things.  Such a great mind! 


Miles has the interesting habit of getting up early, eating a quick bowl of cereal, then crashing on the couch until time to leave for school.  Here he is in his usual morning location.


I was able to watch Peyton play at one of her soccer games.  She's a good player so it was fun to see her in action.  All told, it was a lovely time.



In the meantime, Chris and Jessica toured Copenhagen with friends, then Berlin.  They sent regular messages and pictures.  Looks like they are having a great time!



Seattle is a beautifully green place, with things growing everywhere.  Abundant rain is the price of that.  There were lots of grey skies and rain while I was there.  But most days were also full of sunshine.  Summer brings less rain than the other seasons.  Still, everything was green except...most of the lawns.  People in the local neighborhood as a rule do not water their lawns. So they turn brown.  There they are, a brown swath surrounded by lots of greenery.  Why?  It seemed so odd to me since our Idaho area has the greenest lawns in summer.  Because we water them!

Here's the green.


Here's the brown.



In spite of a sweet time, it was good to be back home.  Our gang here seemed to do just fine without me.  Except for searching out missing items or misplaced ones, all was much as I left it.  Layne was so glad to see me.  I noted that at the airport since he actually came inside to find me instead of picking me up curbside.  So sweet! 

I am feeling more settled with Seth and Angelica here.  I suppose I have adjusted to their presence without even noticing it.  Things seem to flow more smoothly this year.  I am enjoying them more.  Gerald and Frances will soon be here for another visit.  I always love that.  October brings more family birthdays, including Layne's.  The days are growing cool and crisp.  Early signs of fall are in the air, with the trees just beginning to show their fall colors.  It is a wonderful time of year.

No comments: