Sunday, June 10, 2018

Joyful Motoring

For several weeks Layne has been asking me what I'd like in an "around town" car.  For quite awhile I've mentioned that it would be a good idea to have a little car that takes much less fuel for short errands and such.  But it seemed along way off since we have two cars in our garage already.  And then...Layne invited me to check out a car he found on Craig's List.  So on Monday we drove into Boise to see the car.  It turned out to be a cute little convertible sports car; a Miata.  It was old, red and so fun to drive!  It was also pretty cheap.  So we bought it!  I drove it home with the top down.  I've gotta say that there is something magical about driving a stick shift red convertible, with the wind blowing through my hair.  I loved it! 

I went to bed that night thinking about the car and awoke with the same thoughts.  Tuesday I cleaned out the inside and we checked out the various workings of the car.  Layne took it to a mechanic to have it inspected.  They said it is in unusually good working order for its age.  All's well with its "innards."  It needs the windows fixed and some body work.  Layne says we will do both of those things.  And then it will be perfect!  I'm excited to have this little treasure.  I think it will serve us well and will be tons of fun!  I'm so grateful!


Now that Layne and I are missionaries I've been looking for more ways to "minister".  This week brought plenty of opportunities.  I found myself tending to someone every day.  It was rewarding and meaningful for me.  Things do seem to come in bunches, and this week has brought news of struggles for more than normal the amount of people that I know and love.  I did my best to do right by them all.  These experiences, and getting the Miata have made this a rewarding week.  

Our vegetable garden is bursting forth.  Layne has planted more than the usual amount as he asked me to get seeds for the plants I wanted.  And I found quite a few.  Angelica helped me so the pile grew.  Layne did his best to plant representatives of all of them.  But there are critters just waiting to help themselves to our harvest.  There are the pheasants next door, the various birds, the bugs and, this morning exposed us to a new arrival.  See if you can spot him in the picture below.


This little fellow brazenly appeared and checked out the grass and my growing herbs.  Hum.  I wonder what we can expect of him in future days.  And does he have friends.

There is a bird nest on our front porch.  It rests high in the corner.  The most obvious sign that it is being used is all the bird poop that is piling up below the nest.  When we are sitting in the swing, the nest owners fly in and out of the area as if to say, "get out, this is my space!"  As I was sitting there, one of the nesters sat atop our flag, bobbing its head back and forth and looking at me.  But I was not intimidated!


And so begins another week.  I plan to cruise though it in my little red car.


No comments: