Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter

Here in Idaho Spring Break came at a great time; the week before Easter.  Snow greeted us at the beginning of our free days.  Not quite a spring greeting.


But in typical Boise style, it was almost all gone by the end of the day.  And look what greeted us after the snow melted!  Our yard is exploding with new life. That is the joy of changing seasons, as we experience here.  I never tire of seeing the magic the change of seasons brings.  It reminds me that, like the plants that seem to die in winter, we too will die and awaken to new life one magical day when we leave this mortality.

New life includes ground squirrels (in Idaho language, whistle pigs).  They are running all over the back field.  Layne has begun his war with them, as they invade our yard as well.  He began with a pellet gun and has moved on to gopher bombs.  I think he has cut down on the population but we still spotted some digging in the lawn.  So the battle continues.


As we anticipated a week with Seth and Angelica at home, we tried to plan activities to fill their time and be fun for all of us.  We started by going to see Black Panther.  We loved it!  Layne is not a movie guy so he didn't go, but the kids and I went.  So fun!

We thought it would be fun to take the kids to some of the local sights, so we began by taking them to Idaho City, an old pioneer town that boasts some pioneer Galbraiths.  In spite of all our enthusiasm, they were underwhelmed.  



Here we are in front of the oldest home in Idaho City, built by Galbraiths!  Spelled differently but still a part of our family...somewhere.  There was a decided lack of enthusiasm by the kids.  Can you tell?
They perked up though when we took them out to lunch at a nearby restaurant.



Nothing like food to cheer kids up.  That effort at entertainment didn't work out so well.  So I decided not to take them out sight seeing anymore.  They like food so we went out to eat various things on several of our days.  We spent a day baking.  Cupcakes.  We also spent time shopping which was great for Angelica.  We reviewed the life of Christ every day too; presenting His activities during the last week of His life.  We had movies every night.  That was fun.  I wound my life around those kids for the week.  But now the week is gone and the kids head back to school tomorrow.  

I could say that this next week will be good for relaxing but it wouldn't be true.  Gerald and Frances are coming tomorrow and bringing Frances' parents, the Changs.  So our coming week will be a busy one.  We will take them on the sights we were going to share with the kids.  Maybe they will be more enthusiastic about it...what do you think?

Easter is a wonderful time.  We are spending Easter day watching General Conference.  I'm loving it and the influence it has upon me.  I feel grateful to know that Jesus Christ is a real person who loves me and was willing to dedicate His entire life to the welfare of all of us.  I feel a renewed desire to be better and do better.  It is such a temptation to just let down and relax.  But, while a little of that is OK, I want to use up my life in doing things.  Good things.  I'm trying to talk myself into doing more of that.


No comments: