Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Banana Belt

Boise, the "Banana Belt" of Idaho, is now buried in snow.  An amazing amount of snow.  "Very unusual," the locals say.  They must be right since snow removal equipment cannot keep up the clearing of the roads.  So the schools are closed for now and today Church was cancelled!  I am just a  California girl, but it seems to me that life could go on with the snow.  It is not unusual in other snowy places and they manage.  But here in Boise life has come to a definite slow-down.

There are dire predictions for the coming week.  A slight warm-up will bring some rain, which a cool down will freeze, adding ice to the snow accumulation on the trees and power lines.  Hence a warning that we could lose power for awhile and some trees could fall from the frozen weight of the ice and snow.  So yesterday I trudged outside and shook the trees free of a lot of the snow build-up.  With the weight off, the branches happily bounced back to their usual position, as if to thank me for freeing them.  The snow began to fall during my snow efforts and soon, between the falling snow and the plops of snow from the branches, I was covered in it!  As I marched from tree to tree I fell a number of times, with the softness of the snow giving me pleasant landings each time.  It was fun even if I returned inside covered in snow with ice icicles hanging from my hair.  I like the snow! 

So, for now, our life continues inside.  Except for occasional trips outside to clear the sidewalks and drive-way yet again.  Perhaps, with all the western storms at work right now, we can call the drought over.  We can be thankful for this excess and hope for the best!

No comments: