Sunday, December 11, 2016

Holiday Time

Last weekend I decided to make a rush trip to see my sister Maryanne and Bob.  Being a snow driving chicken, I checked with the weather predictions and it looked nice and dry.  So I headed out Friday, December 2nd.  It was a lovely drive; just what I enjoy most,  with cloudy skies and dry roads.  I sang my way to the Berrett home.  We only had about a day and a half before I had to drive back home.  It was short but fun.  Bob loves Christmas lights so their home is wonderfully lit each night.  He invested in some amazing lights that surround the top of the house.  They project color combinations that are controlled with his phone app.  It's a pretty eye-popping sight to see them.  Combined with the snow that rests around their home in the mountains, it is so lovely.

Bob's lights.



The drive home held more cloudy skies, but also some stretches of icy, slick roads.  It was a white knuckle experience for me.  With a prayer in my heart and hands clinched on the wheel I stressed along until, finally, I hit dry roads.  I was so thankful to reach home and Layne's welcoming embrace.

The rushed trip was necessary because we spent most of the week singing with our Treble Clef singing group.  It is exhausting but uplifting.  Both Layne and I have bonded with our little group, so friendship, singing and associating with the people we sing for carries us through our performance days with happy hearts.  But I"d so like to sit in front of the fire and just veg for awhile.  Life seems to be filled with extremes; overwhelming amounts of experiences or a dearth of them.  I long for balance.  We will soon be finished with our gigs, and then I'll miss it.

Layne and me, singing our introduction to "Winter Wonderland".



Me and buddy, Carol Wintersteen, in our singing garb.


It has been snowing here.  Our world is full of white and it is lovely.  Except for walking and driving in it.  Layne has been giving me snow driving lessons and I think I'm making some progress at not being scared to drive in it.  Looks like I'll get plenty of practice as more snow is coming.  Our local skiing resort opens this weekend.  Winter is really here.  It is especially nice to sit in front of the fire and view the white world beyond through the Christmas tree branches.  Such pleasure!

Our backyard scene of the first snow.



Here's my view of the snow through our Christmas tree branches.



I've been reading a good book on addiction, He Restoreth My Soul.  One of the ideas presented in it involves the steps our minds go through when we are tempted to do something we feel we should not do.  It has helped me to catch myself before the temptation becomes irresistible.  Mind control is valuable but definitely takes practice.  I'm working on it.  I had two pieces of berry pie last night after dinner.  Does that give you an idea of how successful I am at mind control so far?  

No comments: