Sunday, April 3, 2016

Easter and Such

Having a grandson for a month is a special blessing.  Isaiah spent almost all of March with us, cleaning up the yard, doing school work and just hanging out.  We so enjoyed him.  One of the good things about being away from family is this kind on one-on-one blessing.  We loved spending time with Isaiah.  He will soon be leaving for his mission, then off to school when he returns.  This has been a lovely window of time that will probably not come again.

Working in the yard is addictive.  It is nurturing to be surrounded by emerging life.  Our yard is exploding with new growth.  It is inspiring and I find myself dreaming of all we could do to "improve" our large yard by adding a few more plants.  "Nah," says Layne to my every suggestion.  "Too much pruning."  But it occurs to me that it was he who wanted "land."  He had his eye on acquiring much more than our meager one acre.  Now, what would he do with all that land but work in it?  And would that not involve a great deal more "pruning" than what we have now?  I'm thinking "yes."  So I mentioned that to him as part of my argument for planting more trees and flowers.  And besides, I tell him, we will be dead and gone before new plants will require much in the way of pruning.  And besides also, I would help him.  He remained unimpressed....but I had Isaiah.  So together he and I bought a couple of trees and he planted them for me.  And I bought some more flowers and planted them.  So, in spite of a reluctant husband, we have a few new things.  I'm excited.  He's resigned.  Well, maybe he even likes the new plant babies.

Here is one of the new trees that Isaiah planted for us.




Isaiah was with us for Eater so we had the pleasure of making an Easter basket for him.  I've not done Easter baskets for awhile so it was fun to do one for him.  Included were little gifts for his mission.  I so enjoyed sneaking into his room and placing the basket there for him to discover.  I like my life now, but I also miss those sweet times with my little ones, when such things as Easter baskets provide such excitement.  We had a lovely Easter dinner with Isaiah and our neighbors, the Wintersteen's.  I'm grateful to know of the Christ and the hope He represents for everyone.  At this time we are surrounded by such advantages and blessings.  I don't want to forget that for a moment.

                                                     Isaiah's Easter Basket.


Our Easter Table
One of those blessings is the ability to enjoy our General Conference from home.  I did so last weekend, when I listened to the Women's Session.  I keep thinking of Linda Burton's counsel to help the immigrants.  There is quite a conversation about immigrants here.  There seems to be a combination of compassion and fear, fear that some immigrants mean us harm.  How do we sort out the good from the bad?  I'm thinking of getting involved in helping our local immigrants and abandoning worry concerning them.  It would be a leap of faith that I think I'm willing to take.  It seems better than the alternative of fostering hatred and resentment.  I think I'd like to help teach English to those immigrants that desire it.  Now I just need to press myself into service.

Today we are full of Church Conference.  The choir is dressed in red, my favorite color.  The talks are great.  The sun is shining through our windows.  How lovely.

 Isaiah's departure, dressed in a jacket made of his favorite color, orange.

No comments: