Sunday, February 14, 2016

A Utah Trip

My sister Maryanne has Parkinson's Disease.  It has affected her movements and has provided her with a tremor in her left hand.  It is a disease that progresses although it has been somewhat gentle with her so far.  The medications that treat the symptoms of the disease cause side effects for her that are unacceptable.  That became something of a blessing as it made her a candidate for a brain surgery that has a very high success rate for stopping most of the symptoms of the disease.  She had the first phase of the surgery week before last.  I so wanted to be there for that surgery, so, after 4 days home from our Taiwan trip, I drove to Draper, Utah, to be with her and Bob.

The surgery inserted wires in her head which will be connected to a battery in her chest which will be programmed to stimulate the part of her brain that is needed to stop the tremors and increase her muscle coordination.  It is an amazing procedure.  She will receive a remote, which she can use to turn the battery on and off.  We are so excited to see how it works for her.  The last part of this procedure will take place in March.  I'll have a full report then!

Here's a lovely view of the mountains outside of Maryanne's hospital window.

It was a lovely drive to Draper.  I worried about the weather but, while the roads were surrounded by snow, the roads themselves were clear.  I enjoyed the drive and felt enveloped with peace and safety, driving both directions.  It was so enjoyable to spend time with Bob and Maryanne.  She came through the surgery very well and appears to  be healing quickly.  The front half of her hair was shaved, giving her quite a unique look!  What a blessing that hair grows!

Here's a snap of post-surgery Maryanne with her panama hat to cover her bald top.

While staying with the Berretts, I took a little time to connect with our foster daughters, Laura White and her sister, Lesly Carter. We met for a Jamba Juice and had a fun visit.  Both are currently single, but doing well and seem happy.  Meeting up with people I love is so rewarding.  So I wonder why I don't do more of it.  I think I need to put myself out a bit more in that regard.  So I'm going to try.

Here are my girls, Laura on the left and Lesly on the right.  It's a selfie so its a bit goofy.

On this Valentine's Day I'm so grateful to have a love in my life.  Over the years it seems that Layne and I have worked out most of our angst.  We are both strong-willed and, could I say, stubborn people.  But time softens things and I find myself quite content with this man of mine.  He is strong, intelligent, capable, unselfish, pure-hearted and loving.  I don't know how long it will last, but for now, I'm enjoying this time of my life very much.  


No comments: