Sunday, June 28, 2015

People and Stuff

I have felt the challenge of the people vs. stuff war since college.  Then it was a choice between doing necessary school work or bonding with friends.  Often I chose the friends.  But at a cost.  I've come to know, now that I'm an older woman, that people are the priority, just about always.  We have some challenging events coming up that I want to be prepared for.  I've got some goals set to make sure that happens.  But people keep getting in the way.  This past week it took the form of a trip to Utah to see my sister and her hub.  It felt more important.  So I went.  And it was a lovely time.  I need to know, on a regular basis, how Maryanne is.  I need to look into her eyes and take note.  I did that last week.  We had a good bond and made a little bit of a dent in the piles of family records that we have yet to go through.  There is so much to do, just with family history.

Here's an early picture of my mother, Mary Margaret Knox Kiser, that Maryanne and I found hidden away between sheets of paper that Mother filed away.  I think she is such a lovely girl.

I also visited an old friend, Frank Heiss.  He was our bishop in Fremont for a time.  He is a recent widower.  I've been a bit worried about how he was getting along on his own.  Seeing him has put my mind regarding him to rest.  He has rebounded and is happy and busy.  Most of his children are nearby and seem to be looking out for him.  He is a great example of joyfully proceeding through the dish the Lord serves.  He has some heartaches with some of his family but just keeps loving them and hoping for the best.  There are losses and gains, but with the right attitude, all can be made into gain.  He's done that.

Here's Frank, about 88 years of age.  He is full of personality and zest for life.

The drive to Draper, where Bob and Maryanne live, takes 6 hours.  I made the trip alone as Layne had things to do at home.  I enjoyed the trip!  I listened to conference, sang, thought about lots of things and enjoyed the view.  On the way home I visited very briefly with Layne's twin, Lynn and wife Camille.  I love those guys.  Somehow I'd like to overcome the Galbraith habit of rarely seeing each other.  It is so much fun to be together!  I also stopped in Odgen to see one of our Mongolian daughters, Marta, her husband and new baby girl.  So great to see her and take a look at their beautiful new baby.  So now all three of our Mongolian girls are happily married to American men and have babies.  So sweet to see.

Here is our girl, Marta, with her husband Matt Hansen, and their new little daughter, Madeline.

Somehow we find ourselves amazingly busy.  Here in Idaho, where we know so few people, we seem to be almost overwhelmed by opportunities to spend time with the few that we do know.  It is the people vs. stuff quandary all over again.  I find myself just caving in to the people demand and enjoying it.

No comments: