Saturday, March 28, 2015

Opera and Laura

Did I mention that Layne and I are taking singing lessons?  Our teachers are professionals and so very skilled at using the voice in amazing ways.  Susan Patchel Hamilton sang opera in Europe and at the Met for quite a few years.  At 74 she still sings professionally.  We are quite wow'd by her.  Last week, she and her husband invited us to join them for dinner and a replay of a Met opera, "The Lady of the Lake", complete with sub-titles and even some interviews with the performers.  I've only seen one opera in my entire life and didn't like it much.  But this time I found it much more interesting.  Thanks to the sub-titles, I could understand the story for one thing.  As it turns out, very few translations were necessary, as the narrative repeated itself in musical tones over and over again.  The story can be summarized in just a few sentences.  The idea is to enjoy the amazing variety of beautiful sounds the human voice can make.  I can sorta see that.  I actually enjoyed the performance.  Except for one small item.  The love interest of the leading lady was played by another lady!  I found it a bit shocking at first.  Susan's husband, Brett, explained that in early opera (which this is), women sometimes played the part of men, if the composer designed the musical score to be more suited to a woman's voice.  After awhile I got used to it....but I never liked it.  Still, it was a new and interesting experience.  I think we might go again before we call opera a closed activity for us.

Here's the closing scene of "The Lady of the Lake".  Note the
boyfriend on the left is actually a woman!  Personally I'd have
chosen the king, who stands between them.  He's lots cuter.
The end of last week brought us a special treat.  Our first foster daughter, Laura, came to visit for several days.  She lived with us when our two girls were small and no boys yet.  She brought her sister and mom too for a day, to see one of their own perform in a dance competition.  Laura's mom and sister left after the competition but Laura stayed until Sunday.  So we got a good visit in.  It has been sweet to stay in touch with her over the years.  She is in her fifties now and twice divorced.  She is making her own way by running a housecleaning business.  She appears to be doing fine with that.  She has such a sweet way about her.  It was a pleasure to catch up with her life and feel close to her once again.  Truly it is the people in my life that makes me happiest.

Laura White and me.
Laura with Layne.
I got to substitute teach in Relief Society on Sunday.  It was such fun.  I taught a lesson based on the talk by Elder Holland on helping the poor.  I have been bothered for awhile by what I term white-washed lessons in Relief Society.  We talk of the gospel bringing us all stability and happiness while up to half of the women in our group are struggling with some kind of heart ache.  Its not that the gospel can't help with that.  It certainly can, but we never address the downside of life.  And it is all around us.  The gospel has better answers than can be found anywhere else, so why don't we bring up the problems we all deal with and discuss solutions!  We are surrounded by what the Lord calls the "poor in heart", who, with a smile, communicate that all is well and hide their tears.  I think we need to be more in tune with the needs of our own ward family as well as our home family and various others around us.  Too many people bear their pain and loneliness while in the midst of a crowd.  So I taught about the poor in heart.  At least I got it off my chest.

No comments: