Saturday, January 31, 2015

Our Missionaries

Missionary work.  I agree it is important to share the gospel with as many as will listen.  It is such a blessing and has changed the direction of my life, to my eternal good.  But I don't feel I'm very good at being a missionary myself.  We are on a mission now, but working with mostly members of the Church.  I've never quite gotten over my fear of sharing with non-members.  I sometimes worry that I will be held accountable for my cowardice.  But I celebrate that two of my grandchildren have joined the growing number of young missionaries taking the gospel all over the world.

Reed and Dorothy's Scott got his knee surgery finally done yesterday and it was successful.  His Utah doctor says he can re-enter the Missionary Training Center on Monday.  Hooray for that!  Audrey and Cliff's Allegra entered the MTC on Wednesday.  I wonder if they will meet up there.  So we have two active missionaries in the family now.  I can't help celebrating the sweet people that our family has produced so far.

Elder Scott Galbraith, soon to enter the MTC again and prepare
 for a mission in Thailand, hopefully with a healed knee.
Sister Allegra Adams-Hart, off to Wisconsin in a couple
of weeks as a missionary for the Church.
We've been home for almost a week now.  Home is always a sweet place to be.  Our Idaho weather has taken a turn towards almost warm with temperatures in the 40s now.  It's been warm enough to finally melt the snow and open up an opportunity to look for grandson Miles' lost Christmas helicopter.  The one we prayed to find.  Layne and I spent an hour to two looking but, again, we failed.  I guess it is lost forever.  Bummer.

We had a delightful time meeting with our Fremont gang for dinner last night.  It was at our house this time.  Layne found a new recipe he wanted me to prepare.  He was so sure it would be delicious that I overcame my reluctance to fix something untried for company.  It was a pork dish.  Sure enough, it was delicious.  Layne wanted to show them, once again, his current favorite movie, The Impossible.  We've seen it 6 times already.  But we watched it once again.  Our friends loved it, and it seemed to leave a lingering sweet feeling.  I say that because they all stayed until after midnight!  Unheard of for older folks like us.  But it was so great to be able to talk deeply and at length with these gal friends.  It turned out to be an unusually lovely evening.

After days of foggy inversion here, it is sunny today.  The sunlight streams through my kitchen windows as I write and it feels so cheerful.  Winter darkness doesn't bother me; I just keep my tree lights on and candles lit.  The fireplace warms our living room, my favorite winter place for reading.  I like winter.  But the sunlight is magical.

No comments: