Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day in California

Our flight into San Francisco with Isaiah last Monday went as anticipated.  Wonderful.  I am regularly reminded of the wonder of life at this time with all of its luxuries.  I hope never to take any of it for granted.  We have spent this past week at Audrey and Cliff's in their new location called Mountain House.  Their housing development lies in the middle of farm country, near Tracy.  It is lovely here and the guest accommodations are the best of any of the local kids.  So we planted ourselves here.


Here is a goofy picture of Isaiah on his 16th birthday.  Homemade pizza was his dinner choice, which he actually ate instead of the other options he offers here.

California offers such a collection of family and friends.  I tried my best to connect with as many of them as possible.  Family for sure.  We spent time with Audrey and Cliff, Ben and Jes, Reed and Dorothy and all the babes.  There is really no substitute for being in another person's space.  I love to take in all that surrounds my precious family members.  Our family here seems to radiate steadiness and goodness.  I'm so happy to feel that in them.


We went to dinner with Ben and Jes.  Here they are eating dessert in a cookie and ice cream shop in Palo Alto.


Audrey had a piano recital at her house last night.  Here grandson Vincent plays his piece.

We sold our condo!  We signed the final papers for the sale this past week.  By Friday the money gleaned from the sale was in the bank.  Wow.  The opportunity to sell it seemed to emerge from nowhere, and proceeded with so little effort on our part.  I remain amazed.  Amazed and grateful as I can now happily announce that we are completely debt-free.

We connected with our Sunol neighbors, Bev and Ernie Trutner, as well as our foster daughter Michelle Montandon, and some other friends.  I love all of this bonding.  I feel full of their news and embrace of being in their presence. As the younger ones are maturing and blossoming, so are the older ones (my age!) beginning to show signs of wear and tear.  I sometimes lose track of the passage of time until I awaken to the condition of others.  I'm so used to seeing Layne and myself that our aging and coming physical decline is somehow less noticeable.  But coming it is.  When I calculate that in another 10 years I will be in my 80s, then another 10 will bring the 90s I cringe.  So little time is left to me it seems.  What am I to do with it?  What is the best use of it?  What do I not want to leave undone?  I've yet to fully figure it out.


Here is one of our foster daughters, Michelle, with her son Steadman.  Steadman is a "special needs" young man with a wonderful heart and a strong desire to do something good with his life.

Our time here is soon to end as we fly home tonight.  Mother's Day was celebrated yesterday and today.  How perfect to be with some of the kids at this special time.  One of the downsides to Idaho is the absence of family to celebrate with.  Holidays are the hardest time for me since the move.

Reed and Dorothy's oldest son, Scott, graduates from high school this year and plans to go on a ission sometime this summer.  He's a high achiever and filled with righteous ideals.

Scott's younger brother, James, is holding youngest sibling, Bruce.  James is a brilliant boy wiht a passion for basket ball.  He has a special bond with Bruce.

Me and my Mother's Day flowers.  The pink ones are from Ben and the red ones from Layne.


Life moves forward with a breathless rush.  Tomorrow we will be home and singing in the first of our two week concert series.






.  

No comments: