Sunday, November 24, 2013

Holidays in the Air

As the cold descends upon us, the air here leans into the uplifting spirit of the holiday season. There are colorful lights popping up all over town.  Our singing group practices have put Christmas songs in my mind.  For the first time ever I have all the family gifts bought, wrapped and ready.  And it isn't even Thanksgiving yet!  Wow.  I'm so proud of myself!  So, in spite of being far from family, I feel the spirit of Thanksgiving and Christmas already.

The large Costco Christmas tree we bought for our California home will not fit in our home here.  I love that tree but it is no use keeping it.  So I offered it to my sister Maryanne and her hub Bob.  Their new home in Draper, Utah will hold it nicely.  They offered two smaller trees in exchange, so the deal was made.  On Thursday we drove half way to their house and met up with them in Burley, Idaho, to exchange trees.  So, instead of one big Christmas tree our home is filled with smaller trees.  5 are now arranged in our entry and living room.  It seems like a lot doesn't it?  But I think it fits nicely.  Once filled with lights, it will be lovely and, I think, joy-promoting.  Sparkly stuff does that, you know.

On Wednesday we pack up for California.  We will be there for Thanksgiving and stay on until after our performance in Nutcracker, on Temple Hill in Oakland.  By then Christmas will really be in the air.
I'm excited for it.


The beginning of lights in the front yard.

Some of the trees in the living room.  I plan to add another
tree and more lights later.  There is something magical about lights!

The Christmas tree exchange in Burley, with Bob and Maryanne.

Layne in Burley, wearing the jacket daughter in law
Frances gave him in Taiwan.

No comments: