Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Fun of New

I was planning on spending last Tuesday at home.  Every minute.  So I wore junky clothes.  I didn't comb my hair or do much in the way of make-up.  I had a total "grunge" day planned.  But Layne had other ideas.  He wanted to get our Idaho driver's license and other necessary things done.  So I pulled myself together and we got it done.  We are official Idaho drivers now.

On the way home I talked Layne into stopping by R.C. Willey's to look at a bunk bed I thought would be good.  We've decided to furnish our remaining bedroom with one.  He went for it and we bought it.  On the way out we looked at living room furniture.  Guess what.  We bought some of that too. Then we found some furniture for the "TV" room.  We got it all.  Wow.  We've never bought so much in such a short period of time, ever.

Since the living room was about to be filled with furniture, I decided it was a good time to paint one of the walls.  So I transformed the mustardy, beigey wall into...RED.    All the furniture came on Friday and its all arranged.  Wow, what a transformation.  The place is looking pretty close to lived-in.  And I love the red!  Layne likes it too.

Here is the new living room.  I want to add a rug in between the
couch and chairs.  It needs some other touches too, but this is
a great start.

This is part of the TV room.  I'm going to move the
ottoman upstairs so there is more room here.  There's
more to do in this room too, but this is a major contribution.
My community singing group is rehearsing for spring performances in the community.  Mostly convalescent and assisted living places.  So the group isn't what I would fussy about parts.  It is mostly just a fun group of gals that enjoy singing.  At one point, a member of the group from our ward mentioned that Layne sings.  So he was asked to sing a song along with us.  "I'm not a soloist," he warned them.  But he is singing a solo and sang it for us last week.  He sounded great.  The girls were thrilled.  He is singing "I've Got Plenty of Nothin' " with us joining him for the chorus.  Who knew?
Now the girls have asked me to dance with him for another number.  So we are.  I would never have imagined that we would be doing this, but I like it.  Part of what I like is the lack of pressure to do a perfect job.  Singing really isn't my forte but I'm enjoying this.

You can't beat California for winter.  It is warm and green and lovely.  Not so here.  It's cold and everything outside is some shade of brown.  If not covered with snow that is.  But there are signs of a coming spring to be seen.  Little snippets of green are emerging in the expansive lawns in the neighborhood.  It is beginning to be comfortable to go outside with only a sweater.  I believe this place will show us a lovely spring.  I'm getting anxious to see it.

No comments: