Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Idaho Banana Belt

"This is not our usual winter," say the Idaho natives, over and over to us as we shop and visit.  Indeed, they seem to be right.  The snow is gone.  The days are quite manageable, as winter goes.  Our home is beginning to look normal, at least in places.  There are still lots of empty corners that we need to fill with some kind of furniture.  But all in all it is looking much more livable.   Our garage is still filled with boxes.  My plan is to open the boxes as fast as we reasonably can and set the stuff we want to keep in piles where we want them to go.  Then we will know what kind of containers we need to get to hold it all.  I admet to tiring of the job though.  I'll be glad to have home "done."  Then we can move on to other more important things.

Sometimes I wonder what in the world we are doing here in Idaho.  It is beautiful, friendly and affordable.  But why are we living here?  I can't answer that at this time.  But I have faith that the answer will come and that we will feel that this is home.  I just miss the people I know and love.  It will be challenging to stay as close to them as I'd  like, I fear.

On the upside, I joined a singing group that performs at various assisted living centers and such around the area.  The group has asked Layne to sing a song with us.  So he is once again sucked into singing.  He loves it though so maybe this is the beginning of some fun singing times.

So far we have enjoyed visitors.  My nephew Rus and his family spent Friday night with us.  Daughter Jessica, Chris and kids spent a couple days with us Sunday through Tuesday.  I love being closer to them.  They are eight hours away by car.  It is far more doable that when we were in California.  The kids loved the air hockey and foosball games we have upstairs.  It is so fun to spend time with family.  Today our Mongolian daughter Batbileg (Brynn) and her American husband Roy arrive for a few days visit.  Wow.  We are loaded with visitors.  I love it!

Granddaughters Gemma and Peyton in our backyard.  Note Gemma
has no shoes on.  Must not be that cold!

Our lovely daughter, Jessica.

Our Gendreau family:  Chris and Jessica in back; Gemma, Peyton
(with a goofy expressin) and Miles.
The sun is shining today in this Idaho Banana Belt.  It fills our home and my spirits with cheer.

No comments: