Sunday, May 20, 2012

A Little More Old Lady

When things come in bunches, they are hard to ignore.  As I may have mentioned previously, my goal for this year is fitness.  So I've been exercising regularly four times a week at least.  Tuesday was tennis.  It is such fun, and I believe I am getting better at the game.  Since taking some lessons, I can at least diagnose what I continue to do wrong.  But I think I'm also making more moves correctly.  So, to return to Tuesday, I was making one of my improved moves to return a ball when my left calf muscle contracted without my permission.  I stretched it; I walked it; I rubbed it.  It would not relax.  The game was over for me.  I hobbled to the car and later into the house.  Son-in-law Cliff diagnosed it as a strained muscle, involving some tearing.  He can tell all of this by feeling.  Amazing.  He told me what to do to fix the problem and I am proud to say that I have followed his advice to the letter.  Hence, today it is much improved.  I've never experienced this before and couldn't help thinking that maybe it was an old lady thing.  I was comforted to hear that daughter Audrey, much younger than I, has also experienced the same thing.  So maybe it wasn't exactly "old lady."

I mentioned things that come in bunches.  I also have a sore knee, as mentioned in previous blogs, and a sore joint on my hand.  It is enlarging as well.  So I have three active "issues" that seem to be calling to my attention my descent into senior-hood.  I have noticed that aging comes in cycles.  I seem to hold at the same level for quite awhile and then, out of nowhere, I take a slight plunge.  Right now it feels like I am plunging.  I'm glad that changes usually come gradually.  It gives one time to adjust.  So, OK, I'm adjusting.  At least I think I am.

Here's Bruce and John in the background,
at Reed and Dorothy's home in Brentwood.
Daughter-in-law Dorothy (mother of 6) went in for a hysterectomy on Wednesday.  I hobbled over to her home on Wednesday to stay with her and Reed's boys.  I spent the night on their couch, having fallen asleep there in my clothes, exhausted.  On Thursday I brought their baby Bruce and foster son John home with me for Audrey and her kids to care for, for a couple of days.  Whew.  I took a good nap on Thursday to get my strength back.  Maybe I really am descending into an older form of woman.  Or maybe I was just tired to begin with.  Hobbling is tiring after all.

No comments: