Sunday, April 10, 2011

Diets and Such





I have been unusually motivated in my efforts at a low cholesterol diet. For two months now I've been avoiding all things animal and adding cholesterol busting stuff like flax and red rice yeast. I've been such a good girl, if I do say so myself. So it was with great anticipation that I went with Mother to have my blood tested. I was so hoping that I could control my cholesterol level with diet. I have a thing about drugs. It seems to me that, as a society, we are way "over-drugged". I'm determined not to fall victim to that. So imagine my disappointment when the blood test came back with no change! All of my efforts have been in vain! So I had some whipped cream on my pumpkin pie today. Soon I'll go in for a test to determine if there really is some kind of build-up in my blood vessels. Until then I'm going to live as I normally do. If there turns out to be a plaque build-up it seems to me that I'll have to consider medication. I don't want to, but I feel a little trapped.

Son Gerald and his family are temporarily settled in their Draper, Utah home for a few weeks. While we are enjoying the coming of spring with its wildflowers and sunshine, it has snowed in Utah. Our front yard is full of blooming poppies and lavender once again. It is beautiful. How I wish it would last through the summer. But I should live for today and feast on the beauty that is before my eyes right now. OK, so I will!

Lately it seems to me that I've become somewhat mentally lazy. I've noticed that, upon reading of new, thought-provoking ideas, my mind wants to stop before thinking too hard about them. I'm a bit appalled at how lazy my mind wants to be. Now that I'm sufficiently aware of this problem in myself I'm going to make a greater effort to broaden my learning efforts.

As I returned from visiting teaching my ladies on Tuesday, Audrey called me to say that son Ben and his family are moving! This was quite a shock as I just saw them on Friday and they had no such plans. Ah, children! I have such trouble keeping up with them. It seems that a house came up for rent on Monday and they applied for it and paid first month's rent. Now they are in a rush to move in, fast. Can you guess what happened next? The kids are here with us for the rest of the week so the move can actually happen. So here we are with babes. More about that later.
For now, I'm a woman on the run as there is a kitchen to clean, a mom to put to bed and children to settle in as well. So, I'm off.

Pictures: top shows our front yard with irises and poppies. So lovely; I wish it would last. Next is a view of our hills from the side of our property. It's worth a look because of the lovely green hills in the background. Once the rain stops they will be brown but now they are a little piece of paradise. Next is our baby orchard, where I love to hunt for rocks. Two of our cats are keeping me company. Bottom is daughter Audrey holding our little Bruce.

No comments: