Sunday, November 7, 2010

Seattle on the Fly


Daughter Jessica has lately mentioned with some urgency that we are not visiting her often enough. She has recently opened a used book store called "Bumbershoot Books", in the Seattle area. It is so far holding its own. Layne is helping her organized her book work. We have felt unable to travel while Mom is with us. But we decided to experiment with a very brief trip to Seattle, to spend a day with Jes and her family. So, after our Temple day on Wednesday, we rested briefly and headed for the airport. I must mention here that going to Seattle by air is quite risky for stand-bys. There is usually no room. But the late flight on Wednesday night looked promising, so we went for it. We were blessed. We got on the plane with room to spare, arriving in Seattle at 10 PM. Not much of Wednesday was left for visiting but we got a few minutes in before going to bed for the night.

Jessica suggested that we walk to her store on Thursday morning. It was a 2 mile, hilly walk. Her little store is a welcoming place, full of books of course, but also a fireplace with comfortable chairs; an invitation to sit and read and stay awhile. So, while Layne looked over her paper work, that is what I did: sit awhile in front of the fire and read. Then Jes and I walked back to her house, via another bookstore located on our way home. Jes made friends with the owner, encouraging friendship and cooperation. Her offer was happily accepted. So she has managed to make friends with all the book store owners in the area. A good move, I say. Benevolence is usually the best way.

So we walked about 4 miles on Thursday. Did I mention that I have a sore knee? Amazingly, it didn't seem to mind the walk much. I spent the rest of the day re-upholstering a love seat for Jes. it matches the chair I did for her earlier. I was so proud of myself for finishing it! I worked on it for 4 hours and that was enough, amazingly. Gemma and I cooked dinner for everyone after that and then, after a little kid bonding, we went to bed. It was a jam-packed day filled with physical exertion. I survived it! Friday morning we caught a 6 AM flight back home and walked in our door by 10 AM. How amazingly lucky is that! We managed to catch both flights we tried for. What a rare and wonderful blessing. Mom was in good shape when we returned, so we'll go again, for two days instead of one next time.

Layne asked ME to dance on Saturday. That is a rare but welcomed occurrence for my non-dancing man. Since we are now dancing in a Nutcracker performance, my perfectionist husband wants to get the steps down perfectly as soon as possible so he can quit worrying about it. So, joyfully, I accept his regular offers to dance and we are becoming quite proficient. I'm proud of him.

Sometimes I think I am right on top of things and doing well and sometimes I feel so out of control. I taught my 14 and 15 year old Sunday School class again. I felt so inspired while preparing the lesson but it melted into a mediocre lesson today. I can't seem to control when I can access the Spirit to help me and when I cannot. Sometimes ideas flow through me at a rapid rate and sometimes there are none at all. I cannot seem to predict or plan it. I find that a little frustrating.

Pictures: Top is daughter Jessica and her youngest, Peyton. Middle picture is her son, Miles. Below him is Gemma, Jessica's oldest. The picture at left is of Jessica's business card, in the shape of a bookmark.

No comments: