Sunday, August 22, 2010

Mostly Going


Granddaughter Rayne turns 21 in September. We'll be in Colorado when her birthday comes, so she talked me into taking her birthday shopping on Monday. "I've pre-shopped, Gramma, so I know just what I want." How can you refuse such a request? Rayne and I have a tradition of birthday shopping so our shopping trip on Monday was just a continuation of a cherished way of life. Hum. This year we went to Norstrom's rack, a great discount place. Rayne works at Norstroms so we had her convenient employee discount to work in our favor. It is hard to pass up deals on things for some of us. I'm one of those. Rayne found some things and so did I! Everything was discounted, plus we got Rayne's 20% off that. Somehow shopping takes on real pleasure when you get a deal.

Our missionary grandson, Chase, (brother of Rayne) left this past week for the Missionary Training Center, in Provo. Audrey, Cliff, and Rayne drove there with him. It is just a quick drop-off now; no extended good-byes. So their boy is gone for two years. To soften the blow, they drove on to Colorado for a quick bond with my mom and to get her dining room set. She told them they could have it and bring it home anytime they were ready. So they packed up the whole set in the back of their truck and drove back home. Mom is notoriously tight with her things, of which she has many. But she appears to be loosening up a bit. We are kinda thinking that, when she offers to pass on something, we should not waste too much time claiming it. I hope we are right about that. Above all, I want my mom to be happy. Sometimes giving one's things away brings happiness and sometimes feelings of loss. I'm hoping for the happy.

Son Gerald went home. Now it almost feels like he wasn't here. Funny how that works. I find that being here makes Colorado seem far away and being there does the same for here. Are you following my thoughts? I don't like traveling. I've said it before, but for me there is no place like home. But I'm working on liking what comes. And travel is in my agenda. At least for now. So I will take what joy I can from it.

Above is Chase, dressed as a missionary, with his sister, Rayne (the shopper).

No comments: