Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love and things



Two of son Reed's boys play basketball. We determined that, before the season is over, we would attend some of the games. Monday we watched both James and Scott play. I really don't enjoy spectator sports. It helps to know a player or two, but I must steel myself to get all the way through a game. I've decided that one of the reasons is my strong sense of competition. Why doesn't the coach play James more? Here he is, siting on the bench. Why doesn't he train the players to actually win a game. Why doesn't Scott's coach train the boys to actually make a basket when they shoot? Here Scott watches the other team shoot. Why must I watch both teams get smeared by the opposition? Why must I concentrate on the score instead of enjoy watching my grandsons play? There is my problem. I think I need to squash my need to see them win and just enjoy them play. I'll try to do that, next time.

Speaking of competition, I watched granddaughter Allegra compete in a "mock trial" on Thursday night. Their charter school team performs in a real courtroom trying a fictitious murder case. We, the audience, were not allowed to speak, move, eat or chew gum for the two hours the courtroom drama took. But it was so fascinating, that wasn't as hard as it sounds. I love a mystery, you know. I personally found the defendant guilty. But the judge didn't agree. It was quite wonderful to see a bunch of kids work a courtroom with intelligence and style. Even though I was wrong about the verdict, I loved the experience. And Allegra's team goes on to the semi-final competition!

My family growing up was not big on verbal affections. There was lots of physical affection but not many "I love you's". So I had to work with my self to verbalize my love for my children and husband. Over the years I have found my voice but I still have trouble saying "I love you" with emotion. Valentine's Day calls for that, of course. I chose to express my affections in the safest way; through the written word. I filled the house with valentines for Layne, each with a loving sentiment just for him. It was such fun to do it! I loved seeing him discover each one. Why is it so pleasurable to give something to someone else? Who can say what magical workings inside of us are at work to make this so. But loving is joyful.

Saturday night we went to dinner at a place in Berkeley called "Skaters". We went with buddy Lyn Hooker and her husband, Jimmy. Layne and I rarely go to dinner. I've come to feel that eating out is a pretty expensive way to eat food. This place had delicious food and we had great seats, next to the bay. The company was good and the service was good. Our share of the bill was $100! So here's the thing: how good does food have to be to be worth $100? I'm thinking there is nothing that could cross my tongue that would be worth that to me. So, as much fun as our night was, we will probably never eat at Skaters again.

I taught my second Sunday school class today. I do my best to get a bunch of 13 and 14 year olds excited about the Old Testament. I am discovering all over again how much I love to teach. Especially I love to teach gospel ideas. I'm finding great joy in this so far. It is sweet to gather in gospel knowledge and to put cause and effect together. My mind explodes with ideas and regained knowledge. It seems to me that loving people and learning things which can be counted on to be true are the most satisfying things in life.

No comments: