Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Week of Sickies



Things often come in bunches. This week has seen a bunch of medical problems for our family. My sister, Maryanne (pictured on the left) had surgery on her knee on Monday. It is something that has needed to happen for a long time. I'm happy that she had it done, finally. She seems to be on the mend now, at home in Utah with her hub, Bob.

My daughter-in-law Dorothy (Carmen's mother) Had surgery on her neck Thursday, to remove a growth in her neck that was becoming uncomfortable. It was not considered a major problem, but was a sensitive issue for that family after the recent loss of Carmen. I stayed with Reed at Kaiser hospital in Antioch to make sure all went well. As I was waiting there, Mom was taken to the hospital in Pleasanton for various reasons.

So I rushed from Antioch to be with her. Her blood volume was down, she was anemic and had several other little things going on that accumulated into a big effect. She was finally placed into a room of her own that evening. So I spent the total day in hospitals! My sister's son, Bryan Berrett, flew through Oakland on his way home on Thursday. He visited with Mom and it raised her spirits 100%! You see him in this photo of Mom.

Dorothy (pictured above with Reed) is home now and doing fine. Mom is now also looking good and will return to the convalescent home tomorrow. I would love to bring her home instead, but the doctor says she needs too much help right now for us to handle. So she will go to the home for several weeks, where she will receive therapy that will, hopefully, get her back on her feet in time for the trip back to Colorado, where she can enjoy the summer at home.

Today (Sunday) was Invitation Sunday at Church. Members of the ward were asked to invite friends to Church for a special service devoted to presenting them with an overview of the Church and Gospel. The chapel was packed! I believe everyone was surprised in the happiest way to see such a response. Layne spoke, among others, and did a surperb job. There was a strong spirit there. I believe we could not have asked for a better experience.

So the problems of the week have ended on a happy and blessed note. Plus, in case you are wondering, I feel fine!

No comments: