Friday, July 25, 2008

Colorado and Mother


I am back in Colorado, sending Maryanne home for a needed rest. So I am alone in mom's house. It seems strange to be here without her. I spend the evenings alone here. I am something of a scaredy cat so it took awhile for me to fall asleep my first night. But I'm pretty comfortable now. I use the early mornings for chores and errands, visit mom in Montrose from about 11 AM until 6 PM or so, then head back home.

Colorado is a beautiful place. I always feel inspired here. Nature provides such summer weather variety. So far it has rained and shined every day. You never know what you are going to get here, weather-wise. I suppose that is why I like it so much. Yesterday, as I was working at mom's desk, I looked outside at partly cloudy skies and a beautiful double rainbow. It went on to pour rain, but, by afternoon, there was not a cloud in the sky.

My commute to Montrose takes about 50 minutes. That's a gasoline cost of about $17 a day! I just brought gas yesterday for $4.01 a gallon. That's cheaper than home, but still a sizable expense. Still, we are lucky with expenses. So far, they can easily be covered. I'm grateful for that.

Mom is tiring of hospital life. Even her good parts grow weak with bed life. She gets an hour of physical therapy a day but it is not enough. So I asked the nurse to give me exercises that I could put her through in addition. She gave me four. My goal is to have mom go through those twice a day. As I watch her therapy I realize how far she has to go. Her right arm and hand are still completely useless. It worries me a little. If she doesn't get some movement there she will be handicapped in a major way. She has great trouble standing because of the weakness on the right. My mind still has not accepted her as physically handicapped but I must face that fact. It will take some time for her recovery and, most likely, it will only be partial. Yet I feel positive about her future. There is a purpose in this and potential benefit. Mom was miraculously preserved in this experience. Her mind is clear. Our goal is to help her find a new direction. I take great joy in her service and in her presence. She is a blessing.

No comments: